What Is The Importance Of Cleaning My Fish Pond This Spring?|Rochester|NY|New York|Near Me
Spring is here in Rochester (NY) and we recommend that your pond receive a full cleaning at least once or twice per year by Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls to help maintain its low maintenance and beautiful appearance.
Failure to perform an annual clean out could result in increased maintenance or fish health issues not to mention possible increased repairs for your pond or pump.
Are you buying a home or have you recently purchased one that has a water feature or pond in Rochester or Western New York (NY) and would it be a good idea to hire a professional pond company to clean, assess, and educate you on the system you have? Having a true pond professional (Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls) figure out and explain everything to you regarding your new water garden and what it is that you need to do for maximum enjoyment can save a lot of headaches down the road.
Peace Of Mind With Your New Water Garden
As we know not all ponds are created equal and having extensive pond knowledge will allow a good pond contractor to help guide you. Let's face it, "peace of mind" is everything! It is a state of mental and emotional calmness, with no worries, fears or stress. In the state, the mind is quiet and you can experience a sense of happiness and freedom. Escaping from the stress of life by a beautiful and enjoyable pond will definitely create "Peace Of Mind".
The first step is to drain out all the water in the pond to see what is going on. All aquatic life(fish, frogs, etc.) are placed in large holding tubs. The plants remain in the pond. Once the water is out, everything in the pond is examined and explained to the homeowners. It is always important for one homeowner to be present to actually see and understand what is happening. This is time well spent as trying to understand through a phone conversation can be very difficult.
The filters are also cleaned and inspected at the time of service. At the end of the cleaning Acorn Ponds provide the homeowner (a written report if desired) a report of all their findings. Basically, the Acorn Ponds team will explain to a new pond owner what they have, and what they can do to make it better and lower maintenance.
We Recommend Fully Draining & Cleaning Your Koi Fish Pond At Least Once Every Year Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls Can Help You, Call Us 585-442-6373
Other Helpful Links About Ponds:
How To Fix Fish Pond| Waterfall | leaks |Rochester|New York|NY
Is There A Leak In Your Pond, Or Are Your Frogs & Fish Drinking All The Water?
Understanding the basic principles of leak detection and repair will save you time, money, and headaches in your water gardening adventures …
I guarantee it!
What Is Evaporation?
Ponds that are located in areas of the country with moderate temperatures and high humidity can expect to see 1 to 1 ½ inches of water loss per week during the spring and summer. Most of this evaporation should be replaced naturally by rain. However, if you live in an area with high temperatures and low humidity, it's possible to see 3 inches or more of evaporation in a week.
The quantity and size of your waterfall(s) will also affect the amount of water that is lost. Regardless of the climate, a 4'x 6'pond with a 20-foot stream and 5 feet of cascading waterfalls may lose as much as 2 inches or more every day!
Why? Splashing and moving water has greater exposure to additional evaporation than does the still water in the pond. If that same pond was 16' x 21' pond, you'd probably never even notice the additional evaporation because it's a larger pond.
What It Isn't
Look for any low edges. Settling at the pond's edge is the most common cause of a leak, especially in a new pond. Typically, the low edges are found around the stream and waterfall where settling may have occurred after a few rainfalls. These areas are usually built up during the construction of the pond using the soil from the excavation, and are prone to some settling.
Your first line of defense is to carefully inspect the edges of not only your stream and waterfall, but also the perimeter of the pond. As the dirt around the stream or waterfall settles, it can create low spots that may cause water to escape over the edge of the liner.
Keep your eyes peeled for wet mulch or gravel, or muddy areas around the perimeter of yourpond. If you find a spot that's leaking, all you have to do is lift the liner up and push some soil under it in order to raise the edge. Bingo – leak fixed!
Another possibility is that water is splashing out of your stream. To fix a "splash leak," all you have to do is adjust a few of the rocks under and around your waterfall. This will contain or redirect the splash and it will stop the splash leak. Once again, you've solved the problem the easy and cost-effective way ... using common sense.
Low edges can be built back up by simply backfilling and compacting soil beneath the liner in order to raise the edge of the liner above the water level.
Obstructions In The Stream And Waterfalls
- Make sure the pond is filled to the appropriate level.
- Unplug the pump.
- Let the pond sit for 24 hours.
- If the water level drops, then you know the leak is in the pond.
When The Water Drops
- To find out where the leak is occurring, allow the water level to continue to drop. The level where the water stops dropping is the level where the leak is located.
- Concentrate your search around the perimeter of the pond at the level that the water has stopped dropping.
Now the fun begins! At this point, you may want to consider calling in Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls, but if you want to continue on your own you'll need to:
- Remove any rocks around the entire perimeter at the level where the water stopped. You can then carefully check for some sort of puncture, or hole in the liner.
- When you find the hole, you simply patch it with a liner patch kit available at pond supply retailers.
- Now you can replace the rocks, fill the pond back to the top, and enjoy!
Steady And Level
Another possible culprit is the faceplate of your skimmer, if you have one. If the water level stopped dropping above the bottom of the faceplate you should investigate the skimmer. It may not have sealed correctly.
If the Leak Is in the Skimmer
- Investigate the skimmer faceplate without disassembling it.
- Simply move a few rocks around the front of the skimmer and slide your hand behind the liner, feeling for wet soil around the opening of the skimmer. If the soil is saturated, then the faceplate may have not been installed properly and might be the source of the leak.
- Remove the faceplate, clean all of the old silicone off the liner, and refer back to the instruction manual on proper procedures for sealing the skimmer faceplate to the skimmer. Hopefully, you've solved the leak.
It's not fun when your pond is losing water. It can be a time-consuming and frustrating process to locate the leak. Hopefully with these steps and tips, you can quickly locate the source of the leak and get right back to enjoying your water garden.
It’s A Great Time To Upgrade Your Pond.
Have you thought about…
- Adding a waterfall to your pond?
- Putting in decorative lights?
- Using a safety edge for added reassurance?
- Adding a stream with your waterfall?
- Installing a bog filter?
If Your Pond Is Experiencing A Leak, Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls Can Help You, Call Us 585-442-6373
Some Helpful Pond Info Links:
5 Critical Summer Fish Pond Tips For New York By Pond Contractor Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls Of Rochester (NY)
- Add oxygen to your pond by placing an aerator or AquaForce® pump in your pond. You can also install a fountain with a pump if your pond doesn’t have a waterfall or stream built in.
- If you feed your fish, feed them in the morning and be careful not to overfeed. Uneaten food decays faster in warmer water and can pollute the pond.
- Be sure to remove dying leaves and flowers before they have a chance to decay in the warmer water.
- Aquatic plants such as waterlilies help provide fish with shade from the heat of summer sun, cooling the water and making algae control easier too.
- Is there really a leak?
The Eastern states typically lose 1 to 1.5″ of water each week.
Pond owners in the hot, arid Southwest have reported evaporation levels in excess of 3″ a week.
Remember, these are averages. Some ponds may not experience evaporation levels this high. Other ponds with large pumps pushing high volumes of water, or ponds designed with multiple waterfalls and a lot of cascades and splashing may have evaporation rates much greater than these.
If You Need Help Or Have Any Pond Maintenance Questions, Call Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls In Rochester (NY) 585-442-6373
Some Helpful Pond Info Links:
Landscape Designer / Pond Contractor, Tom Warmerdam has been designing, installing & maintaining koi ponds, water features, patios, landscape lighting & creating outdoor living area paradises all around Rochester, New York (NY) for over 30 years. His company Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls was awarded by Aquascape Inc. as one of the top 100 in North America in 2014. He has been attending conferences at Aquascape headquarters every year since 2004 in Chicago, Ill to maintain his Certification(Certified Aquascape Contractor) status.
Aquatic Pond Plants
Backyard (KOI) Ponds
Green Pond Water
LED Pond Lighting
Pond (KOI) Fish
Pond Water Treatments
Pumps & Plumbing