7 Spring Pond Maintenance Tips Rochester (NY) New York
1. Cleaning your pond in Rochester NY, let’s do the dirty work. After winter, ponds can have an unpleasant odor, murky water, be full of debris, and be dirty in general. This makes it hard to see your fish. Your pond becomes worse and less enjoyable the longer it stays like this.
The best time to perform a koi pond clean-out is the early spring. Acorn recommends that your pond receive a full cleaning at least once per year.
2. Check your pond pump and make sure that it's clean and functioning correctly. Remember your pump is the heart of your water feature and needs to be in good condition at all times.
5. Add aquatic plants to your pond to absorb algae forming nutrients. Plants are great for adding character to a pond by providing color and texture, but from a filtration perspective, they’re second to none.
Thriving from the excess nutrients in a pond and depriving algae of its food source, the aquatic plants in a water garden, given proper coverage, are critical for the overall health of the ecosystem.
6. When should I start feeding my pond fish?
Fish are also sensitive to water temperature, and as it warms up, you will see more activity, and be tempted to feed them. You’ve missed your fish all winter, but until the water temperature is consistently at 55° F, don’t feed them.
7. Avoid overfeeding your fish. Fish food that is not eaten will add more nutrients to the pond, helping feed the algae. Remember there are plenty of natural foods already in your pond for your fish to eat.
Water features provide soothing sights and sounds that help you relax and de-stress in today's busy world
If You Need Help Or Have Any Pond Maintenance Questions, Call Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls In Rochester (NY) 585-442-6373
Landscape Designer / Pond Contractor, Tom Warmerdam has been designing, installing & maintaining koi ponds, water features, patios, landscape lighting & creating outdoor living area paradises all around Rochester, New York (NY) for over 30 years. His company Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls was awarded by Aquascape Inc. as one of the top 100 in North America in 2014. He has been attending conferences at Aquascape headquarters every year since 2004 in Chicago, Ill to maintain his Certification(Certified Aquascape Contractor) status.