Some pond enthusiasts enjoy performing their own maintenance, but you can always hire Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls to take care of it for you.
Acorn Ponds is a Certified Aquascape Contractor and is trained to properly care for ponds and water features.
2. Check pond pumps to make sure that it’s clean and functioning correctly. Your pump is the heart of your water feature and needs to be in tip-top shape at all times.
3. Fix any leaks in your water feature. Constantly adding tap water to make up for a loss of pond water means the constant addition of nutrients which will eventually promote algae growth.
4. Remove algae, leaves and other debris left over from the season before. This is crucial because an excess of decaying debris will add to the nutrient levels and the algae in the pond.
Use Automatic Dosing System to avoid the hassle of consistently adding and choosing the correct water treatments for your water feature.
6. Add plants to control algae. Since plants directly compete with algae for nutrients, they are the most important addition to the pond. Using a wide variety of plants will not only add to the natural look of the pond, but will reduce algae growth as well.
7. DO NOT overfeed your fish. Fish food that is not eaten will add more nutrients to the pond, helping feed the algae.
8. Last but not least, have fun with your water feature! Spruce it up with new landscaping, add a fountain within your feature, add lighting or just change up some of the rock work! Get creative because after all, your water feature is your masterpiece to enjoy and show off to others.
Click these links and learn more: